Saturday, March 1, 2008

One Father to Another (Originally posted 2/12/08)

John 1:11-13 (NKJV)

11 He came to His own, and His own did not receive Him. 12 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name: 13 who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.


I have the privledge of being the father of a two and a half year old litttle girl. I must admit that she is the most precious little girl in the entire world, as well as the smartest and the most beautiful. Isn't it amazing how you can ask any daddy or mommy about their child and their's is always the most beautiful, the brightest.....

I don't think there is any doubt why God chose to present himself in the gospel as a Father. Think about all the ways God could have refered to himself in relation to humans. He could have called himslef boss, commander, or dictator. However, he chose over 260 times in scripture to be referred to as Father (http://www.bible.org/page.php?page_id=220) .

Why Father? Because God looks at us the same way I look at my daughter. He wants the best for us! He wants to protect and guide us! He wants to hold us in his arms and forget anything we have ever done wrong, covering us in love and whispering I love you into our ears.

The most incredible thing to me is this fact, as much as I love my daughter (with all of my heart), he still loves me more than that. I don't know how, my cup is full and over flowing, but I know he does. How else could he have given up his child for you and me?

A Parting Thought: You know how as a parent you spend too much money at Christmas and birthdays then end up watching the kids play with boxes. What good things has God given you just to see you play with the boxes? How do you think that makes him feel?

No comments: