Saturday, March 1, 2008

No More Tears (Originally posted 2/3/08)

Revelation 21:4 (KJV) And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.


It is sometimes nice to focus less on the challenges of this life, and a bit more on the reward that awaits those that follow Christ. After all, as humans we do tend to do better when we have a goal to aim at. The book of Revelation is one of the most debated books in the Bible. Theologians, and average readers alike, debate whether the description of heaven is to be taken literally or figuratively.

Some contend that the streets paved with gold is a metaphor to show that in heaven the values of the earth are likened unto dirt and rock. Others contend that this is a literal interpretation, and we will be able treading on gold bricks. To be honest, I take the I don't know and it really doesn't matter view. I believe that once I reach the streets of heaven I am not likely to pay the roads themselves much attention.

Revelation 21:4 is a verse that I believe is undeniably literal. "And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away."

What a beautiful statement and promise this is. Our world was designed by God to share in this same promise, but the sins of Adam and Eve brought pain and suffering into the world. How wonderful our God is to love us enough to give us a way to return to that state of bliss. And what a delightful thought it is to think of being with our Creator, wrapped in his love for all time. Praise be to God!

Prayer: Father God, thank you for loving me enough that you are willing to over-look all my short-comings and accept me into your eternal home. I look forward Lord to the day that I can be with you, the day when all the worry and weight of the world will be lifted and I can bask in your brilliance. I love you! Amen.

No comments: