Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Keys

Monday, March 24, 2008

Matthew 7:7-8
Ask, Seek, Knock
7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 8For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.

One of the nice things about being a kid growing up was the knowledge that there was always a safe place for me to run to when the rest of the world was turned on it's ear. As a small child I never roamed very far. I would play in the surrounding woods and run through the yard, as darkness began to settle under the trees and shadows grew long I could run inside where I knew it was safe.

When I grew older, home remained that safe place to go. I ventured further and further away, but when life was crashing down around my ears with school, with friends, with relationships, home was still there. My parents gave me a key, although it seems they never locked their doors, they wanted me to know that no matter how old I got the door was always open, this place was always safe.

God does the same thing with us as Christians. When we were blind and unknowing he beckoned to us to come to his home, to knock so that we could be brought in and adopted. Once we join the family we are always welcomed, always safe to stay with the Father and follow his light. Too often though, if you are like me, you have to stretch your legs and go out into the yard, and the woods and sometimes I keep going, exploring until I look around and I find that I am lost. Nothing looks familiar, and I wonder how did I get so far away? How do I get back?

Isn't it nice to know that our Father always turns the light on, that he has given us a key and beckons us to come back. No matter where we have gone and what we have done he waits for us with open arms, he forgives us even though we can never repay him, even though we don't deserve it.

Romans 3:23
for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God

John 3:17
17For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

No comments: