Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The Journey, Not A Destination

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Some people look at the moment they become a Christian as the goal, they see accepting Christ as the finale, nothing more to do, I'm saved that's it. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Look at the Apostle Paul for an example, 2 Timothy 4:7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.

Paul did not write to Timothy and say, "I accepted Christ, I did my own thing, I'm going to heaven." Instead, Paul became one of the most dedicated servants of God in the New Testament enduring beatings, threats, imprisonment, and ultimately death all to build Christ's church. Paul understood that when you accept Christ this is not a destination but a beginning.

God affords us his grace by allowing the blood of Jesus Christ to cover our sins when we accept him as our saviour. However, He does not say, " Now that I see you as my child go on with your old life as though nothing has happened." God calls us to evangelize, Matthew 28:19
Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.

We are further more called to be the body of Christ in his absence taking care of those who cannot care for themselves. We are asked to go against our nature and love those that despise us. We are asked to live to high moral standards and not give into the desires of the flesh. No God does not only what you to believe in him, he wants you to be willing to live for him.

So I leave you this evening with a question. Who are you living your life for? Are you living to make yourself happy? Is the first question you ask before you make a major (or minor) decision what would God want me to do or do you just think what do I want to do? If you choose not only to be a fair weather Christian, a person who is saved for insurance purposes, then you must learn to ask the right questions in your day to day life. We must learn to put God first and ourselves second. Christianity does not stop with accepting Christ, it begins a life long devotion to servitude.

Galatians 2:20
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

No comments: